Illugi Gunnarsson became a Minister of Education, Science and Culture on 23 May 2013.
Illugi Gunnarsson was born on 26 August 1967. He is married to Brynhildur Einarsdóttir historian and they have one daughter.
He graduated from Menntaskólinn í Reykjavík (Reykjavik Upper Secondary School) in 1987 and from University of Iceland as BS in Economics in 1995 and MBA from London Business School in 2000.
Mr. Gunnarsson has an extensive work experience and his career includes among other things teaching in a primary school, organist at Flateyri Church and managing post in a fishing industry in the Westfjords. He was a researcher at the University of Iceland for two years before he became a political assistant to the former Prime Minister Mr. Davið Oddsson in 2000 to 2005.
Member of Althingi for the Independence Party for the Reykjavík South Constituency 2007-2009 and for the Reykjavík North Constituency since 2009.
Chairman of the parliamentary group of the Independence Party 2012-2013 and 2009-2012.
- Member of the General Affairs Committee 2010-2011.
- Member of the Budget Committee 2007-2009, 2011-2012.
- Member of the Environment Committee 2007-2009.
- Member of the Education Committee 2007-2009.
- Member of the Economy and Taxation Committee 2007.
- Member of the Icelandic delegation to the Nordic Council 2009-2010, 2011-2013.
- Member of the Icelandic Delegation to the EFTA and EEA Parliamentary Committees 2007-2009.